Saturday, August 17, 2013


Quitting Cigarettes


     I quit smoking on February 27, 1991. It wasn't easy. In fact it was difficult. I had aimed for January 1st but was unable to stop. I had planned it for several months. I understood from what I read that I needed to make a concerted assault on the problem, starting several months before. Absolutely. Suggestion: set the date today: December 31, 2013. Then, you must prepare. Find a book. Something like "How to Quit Smoking" There are plenty of books either in a library, a used book store, Amazon, etc. You will NEVER succeed if you don't get help. Open your mind and think of a) the money you spend on cigarettes, b) the effects on your health, and c) addictions make you dependent on a substance, you are not free.

     It would be good to find a "buddy," someone who will be quitting with you, but it's not totally necessary. Try to have a conversation with somebody and tell them that you want to quit. Let the world know. Think of your life without cigarettes - eating in restaurants, enjoying your freedom and the extra money you will have for those wonderful meals. Maybe you could plan a cruise, and put $10. a day into a bank account. You could buy your lover a gift, just because. 

     Think about the evil cigarette companies, using your addiction to fill their pockets. And of course the government taxes that have to pay for medical services for smokers like yourself. What a terrible waste it is. All for a tickle of the lips, sucking on the tits of poison. Tobacco is the friend of pension plans, it often kills people just around the age of 65, which leaves more for others who live to retire.

     In the first two weeks after I quit I went to see "Dances With Wolves." It had quite a bit of violence in it, which I didn't like. At one point I became enraged and left the theatre. On my way out, I lost my shoe as I tried to kick the door open. I was waving it around as I aimed toward the exit, encountering an usher who told me to leave. Yes, you do have to watch your emotions, denying yourself many or several cigarettes can produce some anger. You may have trouble, but it's only a short while - you WILL be free. Find ways to express your situation to others, they will offer support. 

     If you are successful, you will never forget your lighter and cigarettes, you will never light your bed on fire, you won't need any "smoke-breaks" (your boss will be happy,) and you will understand what it means to gain freedom from an addiction. Good Luck

August 17, 2013 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment